Don't Miss
Home / Feature Stories / INSIDE NEWARK – radius Images

Cityscapes…
Chris Farling

Chris Farling’s eye for framing urban life has earned him recognition as one of the region’s finest street photographers. So, naturally, we sent Chris indoors—to capture the architectural triumphs that we so often overlook “inside” Newark.

NEW JERSEY PERFORMING ARTS CENTER

Architect: Barton Myers
Opened: 1997

Click on the image to enlarge.

• More than 1 million children have attended performances and educational programs at NJPAC.
The New York Times described NJPAC as “an ambitious symbol of Newark’s pride.”
• NJPAC CEO Lawrence Goldman mandated that the majority of construction jobs go to local minorities.

NEWARK LIBERTY AIRPORT

Architect: Port Authority
Opened: 1973

Click on the image to enlarge.

• In 2014, about 35 million passengers will flow through the airport’s three terminals.
• Terminal C was designed by Grad Associates and opened in 1988; the terminal’s 2003 expansion was designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.
• In 1981, People Express began using Newark’s North Terminal; in 1987, People merged with Continental Airlines.

THE NEWARK MUSEUM

Architect: Jarvis Hunt
Opened: 1926

Click on the image to enlarge.

• Smithsonian Magazine called the Newark Museum the place “where Shangri-La and New Jersey meet.”
• The museum was built with a sizeable gift by Louis Bamberger; Jarvis Hunt also designed Bamberger’s flagship store on Market Street.
• The former mansion of the Ballantine Brewery family is now part of the museum.

National Newark Building

Architects: John Ely and Wilson Ely
Opened: 1931

Click on the image to enlarge.

• At 578 feet (including its flagpole), the building was New Jersey’s tallest until 1989, when the Goldman Sachs Tower (744 feet) opened in Jersey City.
• The top of the building was modeled after the Tomb of Mausolus in Turkey, one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
• Murals on the building’s mezzanine depict the evolution of commerce in the city.

NEWARK PUBLIC LIBRARY

Architects: John Hall Rankin & Thomas M. Kellogg
Opened: 1901

Click on the image to enlarge.

• The library boasts a collection of more than 1,000 autographs of famous (and infamous) people—including John Hancock, Teddy Roosevelt, Annie Oakley and Booker T. Washington.
• The triptych mural on the library’s second floor, entitled Fountain of Knowledge, was painted in 1927 by Robert Hales Ives Gammell.
• The library’s business branch, created in the 1920s, was the first of its kind in the nation.

PRUDENTIAL CENTER

Architects: HOK Sport (interior) & Morris Adjmi Architects (exterior)
Opened: 2007

Click on the image to enlarge.

• The Prudential Center ranks among the Top 10 sports arenas in the world in annual revenue, and is third in the United States.
• The arena has played host to the NBA and NHL drafts, as well as Media Day for Super Bowl XLVIII in 2014.
• The Prudential Center seats 19,500 for concerts and between 17,500 and 18,700 for sports events.

To see more of Farling’s work, log onto observecollective.com/chris-farling.
Special thanks to Michael Calafati and Frederick Cooke

Previous: It Happened in Newark – Winter 2014
Next: Breakfast with… NJPAC CEO JOHN SCHREIBER

About admin

Scroll To Top