For two decades beginning in 1923, the Newark Athletic Club operated in a building it constructed on Park Place, along the east side of Military Park. In its heyday, the Newark Athletic Club boasted more than 3,000 members. The club featured a state-of-the-art gymnasium, indoor pool, lounges, meeting rooms, a library, 300 bedrooms and a large dining room.
This platter, which bears the NAC logo, dates back to the early 1930s.
The Classic Revival building was constructed between 1921 and 1923 and was an excellent example of how architects adapted Renaissance-inspired forms and Beaux Arts planning to the functional demands of the 20th century. It stood near the northern tip of Military Park, a major hub of Newark’s business and retail community.
Members also had use of a golf course and buildings in West Orange, near the Crestmont Country Club.
The Newark Athletic Club survived the Great Depression but could not stay in business during World War II, when the majority of members under the age of 30 entered the service. In 1943, the club filed for bankruptcy.
The property became the Military Park Hotel, which operated successfully during the 1940s and 1950s, but later fell into decline. The property was long-abandoned at the time it was demolished to make way for the New Jersey Performing Arts Center.
Photo Credits: Memorabilia courtesy of Upper Case Editorial Services; Special thanks to Stephanie Carr Right: Library of Congress